- In big mixing bowl, sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add warm water until sticky approximately 2-3 cups of water.
- Add additional flour until able to handle without sticking to hands.
- In heated cast iron pan, fill half full with vegetable shortening or olive oil.
- Heat oil until slightly smoking.
- Roll out dough into balls the size of fist.
- Flatten balls till fourth of an inch thick.
- Put hole in middle of dough.
- Place in oil and cook until golden brown then flip and repeat.
Makes approximately 20-30 fry bread.
For Navajo tacos place taco beans/meat mix on top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and other favorite toppings.
Additional toppings for fry bread honey, honey butter, powder sugar, jam, or cinnamon sugar.