Tried this last night DELICIOUS!!! Hubby usually does beer butt chicken on the grill so he was very impressed that I did it in the oven and it turned out FAB. I only had a lemon so I used it, also rubbed the whole outside with salt,pepper and italian seasoning and squirted some lemon juice under the skin. I put one half lemon inside after squeezing the juice of it inside and put the other half on top to cover the neck cavity hole,Dont forget to season the inside too. After the chicken was done I also tried to get most of the fat off the drippings, added 4 T flour..whisked it in and kept adding milk to make a gravy omgosh Im wondering if the gravy was the best part hehe.. SO good. My chicken was about 5 and some pounds so I cooked it for 2 hrs..perfect!
Beer Roasted Lime Chicken
* 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
* 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
* 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, or to taste
* 1 lime, halved
* 1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
* 1 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Squeeze the juice from the lime over the whole chicken, then place the halves into the cavity of the chicken. Set the half full beer can in the center of a roasting pan or baking dish, and place the chicken over it in an upright position with the beer inserted into the cavity. Pour water into the bottom of the pan. Cover the chicken with aluminum foil, and place roasting pan and all into the oven.
3. Roast the chicken for about 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, removing foil during the last 20 minutes. Baste occasionally with the drippings. When finished, the internal temperature of the chicken should be 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) when taken in the meatiest part of the thigh. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
Monday, January 12, 2009
Posted by shweetpotato at Monday, January 12, 2009