Thursday, January 8, 2009

Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts




got my dough rising right now, will post a pic and let ya know how we like them when they are done :D

Update: these were a pain in the you know what to make lol, took HOURS BUT hubby said they are the best doughnuts he has ever had, I dont know about that , waiting for the daughter to come home and try them. I think they were too dark but my first few were a bit doughy in the middle so I wanted to make sure they were done. The glaze I made was a bit too runny I think.. I dont know. I might make them again but my thermometor sp? broke so I had no way to test the temp of the oil.

Daughter LOVED them..stuffed 2 in her face as soon as she got home saying O YUMMM

Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts

All Recipes link

INGREDIENTS

* 2 (.25 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
* 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
* 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1/3 cup shortening
* 5 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
*
* 1/3 cup butter
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
* 4 tablespoons hot water or as needed


DIRECTIONS

1. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed, or stirring with a wooden spoon. Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double. Dough is ready if you touch it, and the indention remains.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Let doughnuts sit out to rise again until double. Cover loosely with a cloth.
4. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is somewhat thin, but not watery. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess. Keep a cookie sheet or tray under racks for easier clean up.

FOOTNOTES

*
Editor's Note
*
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.

3 comments:

Diana said...

OMG those look too too good!!! STOP it LOL

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the comment on my blog :) I looked at all three of yours, your graphics are adorable and I think your right we do cook a lot a like :) So I've subscribed to your foodie blog and will keep up with you :)

Katharine said...

Oh these look delicious! Definitely on my list of recipes to try. I've never made doughnuts but have always wanted to learn.

Related Posts with Thumbnails