Tried these tonight, pretty tasty but needs more spice and maybe some green peppers?? sorry for the bad pic
Southern Salisbury Steak Recipe
* 1 ½ lbs ground beef (leaner beef shrinks less)
* 2 eggs
* 2 TBS onion chopped fine
* ¼ cup crackers crushed well
* 1 tsp salt
* ½ tsp pepper
* ½ tsp sage seasoning
* ¼ cup butter
* 2 cans mushrooms sliced (4 ounce cans)
* 6 TBS plain flour
* 3 ½ cups water
* 4 bouillon cubes (beef)
Directions for the Salisbury Steak Patties:
1. Place ground beef in a large bowl and add eggs, onions, crackers, salt, pepper and sage. Mix well. Using your hands works best to get the ingredients well mixed.
2. Divide meat into four portions and shape into steaks. Typically Salisbury steak patties are made oval instead of round; however, round is fine. Just don’t make them too thick, or they’re hard to cook through.
3. Cook the meat patties on both sides until browned and cooked through. Then, set the patties aside.
4. Pour off hamburger grease and wipe inside of pan.
Directions for the Gravy:
* Add butter to the skillet where the patties were cooked and let butter melt.
* Pour drained mushroom slices into hot butter and cook for two minutes stirring.
* Add flour and mix well. A fork or a whisk works well for getting the flour mixed in.
* Add water and bouillon cubes. Cook on medium until the sauce thickens up.
* If you like a darker colored gravy, you can add Kitchen Bouquet or other browning ingredient to the gravy. This is only for eye appeal and not required.
* Place the cooked Salisbury steaks back in the gravy and turn heat to low. Let simmer on low for around 10 minutes.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Posted by shweetpotato at Thursday, January 08, 2009