Cheeseburger Paradise Soup
recipes found here
I’ve never met a person who didn’t enjoy this creamy soup, and it’s hearty enough to serve as a main course with your favorite bread or rolls. —Nadina Ladimarco Burton, Ohio
TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
* 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 1 small carrot, grated
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
* 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
* 3 cups water
* 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 2 pounds ground beef
* 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 5 cups milk, divided
* 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 package (16 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
* Crumbled cooked bacon
In a soup kettle, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and mushrooms in butter over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to soup. Stir in 4 cups milk; heat through.
In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
The presentation of this soup is so pretty...its zippy taste is even better! --Julie Ferron
TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 50 min.
* 1 medium dried Ancho pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1 cup water
* Oil for deep-fat frying
* 6 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into 1/4-inch strips
* 1 small onion, sliced
* 4 garlic cloves, peeled
* 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained
* 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
* 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
* 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
* 1 medium lime, sliced and quartered
In a small bowl, combine the Ancho pepper and water; let stand for 20 minutes or until pepper is softened. Drain and discard water; set pepper aside.
In a large saucepan, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Add half of the tortilla strips; cook and stir until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips; set aside.
Drain saucepan, reserving 2 teaspoons of oil. In reserved oil, cook onion, garlic and pepper over low heat until onion is golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; add tomatoes. Cover and process until smooth.
Return mixture to the pan. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened to the consistency of tomato paste. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add cilantro, salt and cayenne if desired. Divide cheese and avocado among six bowls; top with soup, tortilla strips and lime. Yield: 6 servings.
Ohhh and yummy chili
“The chocolate in this recipe threw me off at first, but now it's the only way I make chili,” writes Joyce Alm from Thorp, Washington. You'll find layers of delicious flavor in this heartwarming dish. It's well-worth the time it takes!
METHOD: Slow Cooker
TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours
* 3 pounds ground beef
* 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
* 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
* 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
* 2 cups beef broth
* 1/4 cup chili powder
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
* 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* Hot cooked spaghetti
In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomato sauce, broth, chili powder, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chocolate, cinnamon, cumin, salt, oregano, pepper and cloves. Stir in beef mixture.
Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until heated through. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 10 servings.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Cheeseburger Paradise Soup
Posted by shweetpotato at Tuesday, January 06, 2009